Monday 11 May 2015

My love of Charity Shops




Everyone loves a bargain right? It saddens me to see the swarms of young people in Primark hunting for a bargain when there are thousands of charity shops that need your money. As an ankle biter I spent much time in and out of these Aladdin's caves. Growing up in a single parent family with three siblings meant we rarely had spare cash for clothes and our mum would buy our clothes from charity shops, often those in Great Yarmouth and North Walsham. I always loved rummaging through the rails and never coughed at the things that were bought for me. Now I'm older I still get excited about charity shops and the treasures that can be found; it's a bit like an indoor carboot, which I also adore but that's another post for another time.

I came home with four gorgeous hardbacks on my last visit which totalled a small £4.25. Fellow bibliophiles will scream at me for what I'm about to say, and for this I am very sorry, but I plan on using them for the craft of book folding. I will be reading a couple of them first mind, I'm not a complete monster.

In Norwich, which has a impressive vintage scene, there are many vintage/retro stores and markets scattered about from The Lanes to Anglia Square. Still you can't beat the Charity shops. Vintage stores are just charity shops in disguise with a higher price tag, but the money doesn't go to a good cause. The next time you want something new but don't want to spend a fortune, I challenge you to head to your nearest charity shop instead of Primark, the clothes will probably last much longer too.

Help out a good cause and find a bargain in the process.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment