Monday 29 April 2013

Contraception: Mirena Coil - the good and the bad

I have just finished work and was looking forward to chilling with some chocolate while I caught up on my homework. Instead I'm on the verge of tears, pressing my hot water bottle to my stomach as hard as I can to stop the pain :( You see 3 weeks ago I had the Mirena fitted by my doctor. I had tried everything else and this was my last option. I suffer from terrible cramps and the doctor thought I could have endometriosis for awhile but said if I did it was only mild. She said women who suffer from the pain of endometriosis use the Mirena to control the pain, so I was encouraged to do the same.

 
I did not know at the time that the Mirena is only normally given to women who have had children (I have not), as their wombs don't try to reject the coil. I nearly passed out when it was inserted! I cramped all down my legs, back, front and even my arms. I went clammy all over and turned a whiter shade of pale. The doctor had to physically lay me back on the bed before I hit the floor. It was an experience I want to forget but know at some point will have to go through again to have it taken out :'( The pain subsided after 3 days but I bleed for 2 weeks. The pain has now come back 3 fold. I was working the other day and doubled over in pain. The cramps went right down my legs to my toes and I had to sit down. Today I have sharp almost stabbing pains in my womb and sitting in a folded position is uncomfortable but I can't stand long. It seems to be in the afternoon this happens...weird?
 
My suggestion to anyone who is thinking of having the Mirena, DON'T! I would really appreciate to hear from anyone who has/is going through the same. I want to give this a good go but I'm in so much pain :'(

            _____________________________________________________________________
 
UPDATE 11/08/13
 
I've been asked how I'm getting on now 4 months after having the coil fitted. Well I didn't have it taken out. The period pains lasted on and off for 2 months, it was tough. After that though my bleeds started to get lighter and the pains less. Now I hardly notice them and my bleeds are no more than spotting. My body has accepted the coil :) I couldn't be happier. I haven't been back to the doctor as I've had no problems but I will probably book an appointment in a couple of months just for a check up.
 
There is still a downside however, my skin is really bad, worse now than before I had it fitted. Mind you I have suffered a lot of stress lately so it may be in part due to that. I would rather have bad skin though than bad pains. I'm seeking a product which will help calm my spots down. I'm 29 and I can't remember the last day I had a completely clear skin day.
 
My advice for those of you who have had the coil recently fitted or who are thinking of having it done is be patient. It really is a waiting game to see if your body will accept the changes. Stick it out, take lots of ibuprofen to ease the pain and keep your hot water bottle near by. I wouldn't have got through the first few months without either.
 





6 comments:

  1. Just had coil fitted two wks ago. Ok having fitted, bit painful but I have had kids. However was bad period pains for about 5 days. Spotting first week. Heavy show this week. How did u get on? Did it settle down? Did it improve things?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi sweetie, thank you for reading my post. I will do a quick update for you now as it has been a while since I had it fitted xoxo

      Delete
  2. I had the Mirena fitted about 2 months ago, for me having it fitted was uncomfortable rather than painful and I haven't had kids either. My doctor was really surprised at how calm and relaxed I was through the whole thing! I bled constantly for the first month but now I'm just getting on and off spotting. I'm hoping it settles soon, and I'm hoping I'm one of the lucky 30% (according to my doctor) who stop bleeding completely while on it. I was also really worried about getting acne on it as I suffered with it pretty badly from the age of 13-23 and really don't want to have to deal with that again, but so far my skin has remained the same. I really ummed and ahhed for ages about getting it done as I'd read so many horror stories online, but I think people should ignore them and give it a go because at the end of the day everyone reacts differently to it! I'm glad I went for it :) xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your right Gina, I too read the 'horror' stories. You really have to way up the Pro's and Con's, as you say everyone's different. My experience wasn't a pleasent one at the beginning and I've had a friend who's coil fell out after she thought it was a good idea to use a tampon (noooo!). But I don't regret it. Now I can get on with my life without worrying if I'm going to faint during my working day because of the pain Xoxo

      Delete
  3. Really glad that finally I have found someone who has something positive to say about the mirena.
    I had mine inserted during gynae surgery and woke up bleeding and in agony. All the morphine and other stronger stuff didn't help much at all.
    I had it fitted because I have adenomyosis and my gynae is convinced it will help.
    That was 2 months ago. Since then I have had constant cramping and that plus the post surgery healing has been tough.
    I also feel pmt ish and bloated. No mood swings,acne or bleeding though...just spotting.
    I think that finally the cramping is getting better.
    Hormonally I will much better though despite the few side effects

    Time will tell and I am going to give my body a chance to get used to it.
    I feel that the effects of oestrogen dominance are much worse than a bit of bloating.
    Thanks for sharing.
    XC

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your very welcome Claire I know how difficult it is to choose the right contraception as it's different for everyone x

      Delete