Wednesday 9 October 2013

Acne Treatment home mask



If you have ever suffered from Acne you know how confidence knocking it can be. I started getting spots when I was 9 when I got my first pimple. As the years went on the spots got worse. The doctor put me on a 6 months pill subscription but my skin didn't clear up. I was put on several different contraceptions - the pill made me throw up, the patch gave me a rash, then came the injection. The depo-injection was once every 3 months and not only did it clear up my skin but my periods stopped (so did my libido) but then I ended up with depression and weight gain.


After fighting with many different Docs they done a scan of my uterus and discovered a shadow on the outside of my uterus. They said it was possible I had endometriosis, the only way to confirm it? Surgery. However they weren't willing to do so as if the outcome was endo then all I would be able to do would be to manage it as there's no cure. So onto the coil I went. Now at age 29 I suffer with the worse spots of my life and the pain from having this undiagnosed endo can some days be debilitating. It comes down to this - unless I choose to have children (which I have never wanted) the doctors won't do anything. They say I would be putting my body through unnecessary stress. 

Many people suffer from acne and search long and hard for cures. As far as I have seen there isn't one. But just like my pain management, acne management is possible. So what do I do to manage my acne? I cleanse, tone and moisturise twice daily, avoid trying to touch my spots (easier said than done right?) and once or twice a week I use a home mask. There are so many products out there you could waste your money on. The ones that I have found best are Cliniques 3 step program, Dermologica and anything with Tea Tree (I like to use a toner which contains tea tree). Moisturiser for me has been the hardest thing to find and I'm still searching. Serum is really good for night time, I prefer Pro Age Vitamin Boosting Serum SPF 25 (50ml) from Evamar. When I have really bad red flare ups though (you know the kind where it hurts to move your face!) I make my own face mask.

You need just a few ingredients:

1 tsp Honey
1 tsp Nutmeg
1 tsp Cinnamon
A squeeze of lemon (lemon increases photo-sensitivity so best to use this at night)

All ingredients can be bought from your local Tesco. Why these 4 ingredients though?
Nutmeg is an anti-inflammatory and can reduce scarring
Cinnamon is an antiseptic, astringent, antifungal and anti-viral aid.
Honey (Raw honey is best) contains gluconic acid, a mild alpha hydroxy acid that brightens the complexion, evens out skin tone, and lightens scars and age spots among many other beneficial properties.
Lemon reduces scaring, lightens skin tone, removes dead skin cells, tightens pores and moisturises. So you may find you don't need a moisturiser after using this mask.

Simply mix all the first 3 ingredients together in your chosen tub. You'll see the mixture is very thick, too thick for a mask. Half a lemon and squeeze a few drops to thin it out (not too much or the mask will slip off your face). Apply and relax for 15-30 minutes while the mask gets to work. I like to slip into the bath and soak and make use of the rest of the lemon. Place it by your bath and the room will smell divine. It may tingle which is normal but if it starts to feel hot or burn remove it immediately.

Like I said use this mask at night due to the properties of the lemon on your skin. Don't apply makeup for several hours afterwards or you'll undo your good work, best to just go to bed afterwards. You may notice your skin looks quite red, it will reduce. By the morning my skin looked bright (like I'd had 10hrs sleep) and my spots had reduced in size! Truly, this is a miracle mask. Give it a try yourself. I would have posted a before and after photo but I'm too self-conscious of my skin.

DUE TO THE PROPERTIES OF THE LEMON USE THIS MASK ONCE A WEEK OR LESS

Wendy xo
Looking for a new blog to read? Check out my lovely Barbie Rose Package Advertiser: Rara Rouge

6 comments:

  1. Ugh, I'm a lifetime acne sufferer too so I thank you for this recipe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're very welcome ^_^ Post coming up later today about what to do if you have a reaction to a homemade mask. I highly recommend you check it out if you are considering do these xoxo

      Delete
  2. I have really bad polycystic ovaries and I had to go both on the implant and the pill to help sort out my heavy bleeding and as a result I don't get periods but I do get the worst breakouts ever (and horrible back acne) I feel your pain xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How did you find out you had polycystic ovaries Vic? Your so young! It's horrible when you have something internally wrong which affects your outsides. To other people it just looks like we haven't grown out of our spots yet :/ xoxo

      Delete
    2. I was diagnosed with them when I was 15 which was even worse! I was admitted to hospital with severe pain and an ultrasound picked them up. Oh it really is the worst, my skin wasn't this bad last year but since I've come off the pill and had the implant changed over my face just looks like it's going through puberty all over again! xx

      Delete
  3. I am trying it now.... kinda excitied to see the results I have acne scars and some sun spots and some breakouts this is nice

    ReplyDelete