Monday 23 September 2013

Makeup Brushes: how do you clean yours?

 
How often do you clean your makeup brushes? Once a month, a fortnight, every day? We always remember to take our makeup off each night (well you should if you're not ladies) but what about the makeup that's left on our brushes? Now I know not everyone uses brushes. I didn't before I done my makeup course, instead opting to apply foundation with my hands. We all still use brushes for our eyeshadows though. Can you imagine applying that with your fingers? I'd probably end up looking like Jeff Hardy (a TNA wrestler for those of you who just went 'who?').

 
The makeup that you put on your brush doesn't all come off on your skin. Part of it stays on the brush and continues to build up over a period of time. That in turn promotes bacterial growth. That bacteria is then transferred back to your face! Eww!! You wouldn't go through a day without washing your hands right? It's the same principle with your brushes.
 
I clean my brushes every night and wash them thoroughly once a week. There are many products out there that you can buy: most makeup companies have there own cleaner. I've just started using the Crownbrush Make-up Brush Cleaner. This comes in 3 different sizes, 2oz, 4oz and 8oz. The 4oz has a spray nozzle which is handy for quick cleaning. I bought the 2oz for just £4.99 to trial. I used the tried and tested method of pouring the liquid into a pot/dish, dipping a brush into it (careful not to over saturate) and then rubbing clean on a kitchen towel. This works well for smaller brushes. I have found though that it doesn't clean my foundation brushes thoroughly enough. These brushes still need to be washed with soapy water to remove all product. This is in no way a reflection on how good the makeup cleaner is. Some brushes are just too dense to clean quickly. In the pictures above I just used the cleaner so you could see how well it does clean most brushes.
 
You will use a lot of cleaner if your cleaning everyday so only do this when your short on time. If you can leave your brushes to dry over night, it's cheaper and more thorough to wash them with soapy water. Just a side note - when you leave your brushes to dry make sure you lay them down with the bristles just off the surface. Or even better dry them upside down. You don't want any water seeping into the glue that holds them all together.
 
 



Follow my blog with Bloglovin   Twitter  Facebook  SheSaidBeauty  Instagram 


6 comments:

  1. I normally just clean mine with soap and water. I can't see why girls never clean their brushes, it's so unhygienic! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not nice when the bacteria starts settling on your skin and juicy spots start breaking out O_o xox

      Delete
  2. Use kitchen sponges instead of kitchen tissues. It is way more easier to clean bigger face brushes with it. I prefer one with spray nozzle to disperse the makeup brush cleanser.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a neat idea! Never thought of using sponges. Thank you! I'll give this a go. I love hearing new ideas :) xoxo

      Delete
  3. I use MAC brush cleaner weekly then a good clean using baby shampoo every few weeks.
    Not sure if you'd be interested but I'm starting an Anti-Ageing Blog Project, would love to have you on board if you fancy it. Check out my blog for more info.
    Lianne | TheBrunetteSays...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lianne, I would be interested. I'll pop over to your blog. May I ask my you use baby shampoo? xoxo

      Delete