Sunday 24 March 2013

John Frieda Precision Foam light ash brown 6A


It's been 9 weeks since I last dyed my hair, see my DIY post here. I wasn't thrilled about my last colour by Clairol as it came out quite brassy. With my skin tone I need an Ashy colour on my hair. I'm naturally dark blonde so trying to find a brunette colour which isn't warm and without a red undertone is near on impossible. I had heard good things about John Frieda Precision Foam in Light Ash Brown. There are 2 bonuses to this product .. firstly the Ash colour and secondly the non-drip formula. There's nothing worse than when I'm applying a colour and it ends up on the carpet.


I used the very stylish black gloves supplied and mixed as instructed. There's one big difference with this foam you have to remember .. turn not shake! You turn the bottle side to side 5 times and that's all you need mix the liquids. As I applied it the foam didn't seem to go very far and I thought there was no way my whole head was going to get covered, I have long hair. But by the end my head was fully covered and I had trouble trying to get all the foam in the bottle on :D
 
I left it to develop for 30 minutes, 20 mins to develop and 10 extra minutes for grey/thick hair. The smell was bearable and my heavy long hair stayed on top of my head throughout the 30mins.
 
The finished colour was VERY dark. Nothing like the colour on the bottle. Why it's called LIGHT Ash Brown I have no idea because the end colour was near on black! My hair wasn't particularly dark before I started so I was very surprised by this. I know the after picture looks very light but the lighting in my house deceived the camera. The below picture shows the real final colour. Don't get me wrong the colour quite suits me, I look very sultry, and all my friends love it. I just wasn't after such a dramatic change. I hope others who are thinking about using this colour see my post first so they can see how different the final colour is to the picture on the box.
 
 
Can someone tell John Frieda to change the name of the colour. There are much darker colours in the Precision range. I wonder if those come out lighter than this 6A because the only colour darker than this surely would be black? Have you used 6A before? Do you use an Ash colour? Please let me know so I can go lighter next time :)

 


Paint the UK Pink




13 comments:

  1. Ooh what a gorgeous shade.. I love this brand of hair dyes! So quick, and easy to use xx
    Gemma ♥ | Miss Makeup Magpie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was very quick :D one of the best for least mess xo

      Delete
  2. I think the color might fade into a lighter shade. It usually does in me.
    But if it doesn't, it still looks nice on you. Very flattering

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Wendy :) Colour fades really quick on my hair due to it being blonde underneath xoxo

      Delete
  3. I hate colouring my hair it is soooooo stressful. I pay my hairdresser to do a full head of blonde highlights which used to turn out exactly the way I wanted but in the past 6 months I've been left with a yellowy tone :(! Tried all kinds to get rid of it and just bought Lee Stafford products the other day in the hope they'll tone it down! Considered dying my hair brown but I hated it last time I did it because I looked ill everyday haha. I'm blessed (or not) with that rubbish shade in between blonde and Brown so my hair is a complete nightmare!

    Amanda xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I use to swear by highlights. I too am a natural dark blonde/light brown. I look best as a blonde but it was too expensive and high maintenance to keep up. I'm opting for browns out of a packet for now. Every time it's different but I always use an Ash even when blonde. Next time you get your hair done ask for an Ash or a toner to remove the brass which happens to blondes over time :) xo

      Delete
  4. Sorry, but that IS a light brown. Anything lighter would be a dark blonde. I'm assuming you're a "blondette", where you're just between the two shades. Honestly, as a true light brunette, if I'd ended up with that shade, I'd be WORRIED about it fading into a dark blonde and not suiting me. I think you're just used to something brighter. That said, both colors- blonde and brunette- look absolutely stunning on you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your input stranger. Why not use Google+ or leave your name next time. I like to keep things personal on my little blog :)

      Delete
  5. I just bought 5a....scared that it will be too dark...any experience?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm afraid not Engeli, home hair dye has a varied outcome. Let me know what you think about it xo

      Delete
  6. Hi, try the next time dark cool pearl blonde from jhon frieda is like dark ash blonde but in the end will be light ash brown :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for this recommendation. I'll give it a go :) xo

      Delete
  7. Looks nice, Looks like a light brown to me.

    ReplyDelete